Sharing the magic
This trip was all about sharing every bit of the magic we could pack into a Rick Steves tour--travel, family, anniversaries, new friends, history, art, beauty, culture, perspective and so much more!
Rick Steves tours are our absolute favorite way to travel, and on this, our fifth Rick Steves tour, we were super excited to share these magical travel experiences with my sister-in-law Lori and her daughter Abby. This was their first Rick Steves tour, and we couldn't wait to get it started. We knew they'd love it! After all, travel with others is amplified magic, and there is no better way to do it than on a Rick Steves tour!
Meet the Travelers: Paul, Lori, Pam and Abby!
This trip held a little extra family magic as well. Pam and I celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary during this trip in our favorite place on Earth--the Lauterbrunnen Valley! In fact, that stop on the itinerary was one of the reasons we wanted to book this trip, and we knew it was more than coincidence that our anniversary would be spent there!
Another reason that sharing this experience with Lori and Abby was so special is because Pam and Lori share a special bond beyond just being sisters. Pam was a bone marrow doner for Lori. They were a perfect match (and still are!), and since the transplant, Lori has totally recovered! I find it so interesting that because of the transplant Pam and Lori now have the exact same blood! Can you get a closer connection than that? Perfect travel partners!
In addition to the sister bond, this trip also offered Lori a chance to take a trip of a lifetime with her daughter Abby before she graduates from high school in two years. Having been a high school teacher for 27 years (and a proud uncle), I was really looking forward to sharing this experience with Abby. I knew the experience would enrich her understanding of the world around her in ways a classroom never can. Plus, I love spending time with her and her youthful energy!
Main stops on the tour . . .
If you are anxious to get started (I wouldn't blame you), here is a quick preview of our main stops on the trip. Each of these will be a page in this scrapbook, and if you want to jump to your favorite place, you can click on the links below. Otherwise, click the next button at the bottom of the page to take the tour chronologically with us. As Rick says, "This is your vacation," so you can do this however you would like!
Watch for these special call-outs!
When enjoying the magic of each stop, look for some of these special highlights:
- Scenic drive-by: Beautiful and cool images captured from the bus!
- Postcard moments: Those beautiful shots that should be on a postcard!
- A closer look: Through the lens of my camera, I'll zoom you in to details you might otherwise overlook.
- Perspectives: This might be a unique perspective reflected in photography, history, culture or something else. In any case, it's a new way to look at the world around us. As Rick says, perspective is the most valuable travel souvenir!
- A reason to return: Sometimes, there is more to do than time to do it. These are reasons to return!
- Magic moments: After all, we're sharing the magic of this trip, and there were plenty of magical moments!
- A taste of Europe: A closer look at some traditional European cuisine.
Making your way through 14 days in Germany, Austria and Switzerland
We don't want you to get lost as you travel through the pages of this scrapbook, so here are a few navigation tips to guide you.
However you decide to navigate the pages of the scrapbook, enjoy all the magic we've packed into our journey through Germany, Austria and Swizerland in 14 Days. Don't wait any longer. Let the magical ride begin!